SUDAN – The Chief of the Sudanese Sovereign Council, Lieutenant-General Abdel Fattah Abdelrahman Burhan, has retracted his earlier statements on the continuation of Sudanese forces in Saudi-led war coalition against Yemen. The Sovereignty Council is the name of the provisional military government that took charge of Sudan following the ousting of President Omar al-Bashir.
Burhan said in an interview with Al-Jazeera on Monday that “Sudanese forces will remain in Yemen,”, adding that “the Sudanese forces’ withdrawal from Yemen will come when necessary.”
Burhan said in mid-last month that the decision to withdraw the Sudanese forces from Yemen, “will be taken by the civil competency government that was agreed to be formed last July,” before he changed his remarks on Monday.
Sudan is participating in the ground forces of the illegal invasion of Yemen, and hundreds of Sudanese mercenaries have been killed in confrontations with the Yemeni army and the Popular Committees.
The withdrawal of Sudanese troops from Yemen is one of the most important demands of the Sudanese revolution that toppled al-Bashir. Several protests and rallies against the participation of Sudan in the invasion of Yemen have rocked Sudan in the past months.